Sunday, December 11, 2016

Sweet Potato with Apple Casserole

Need a super simple, easy to make, holiday dish?

Ifound this recipe on the notorious Pinterest. It is called
"Healthy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole" from a blog called Kristine's Kitchen. I love when recipes on Pinterest say Healthy and it looked easy enough so I had to take a look.

My prediction was correct. It was extremely easy and didn't take very many ingredients. I had to try it out. I got invited to a party to network with a few other Wedding Professionals in the Kitsap Peninsula (my new home town). Figured why not try it out for this event, it looked easy, and wouldn't require a lot of ingredients I didn't already have. The worst part about cooking I think is how expensive it can be just to make your food have a little stronger flavor. Spices and herbs have never been my strong suit. Don't you hate it when you have to buy a full head of say green onions for just one small onion. It's a pet peeve of mine, but good news this recipe the only thing I swapped and made my own was the topping. 

This recipe works great for a holiday party or big dinner because it serves up to 8 people, and that's with a hearty serving. I took it to a party and probably 10 people nibbled on it and I still had some leftover. Which it does stay good in the refrigerator well. 

Sweet Potato with Apple Casserole:
Ingredients
  • 3 ½ - 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium)2 medium apples
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes, then chop them into 1-inch cubes and place in slow cooker. Peel the apples and chop them into 1-inch pieces or about the same size pieces; add to the slow cooker.

Add the water, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. 

Cover and cook on high heat for 3-3 ½ hours, until sweet potatoes are very soft.

Use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes and apples until to preferred smoothness.

Add the butter (if using) and milk, and stir until well combined. 

Sprinkle on the toasted, chopped walnuts and set your slow cooker to the “Keep Warm” setting for serving.

Let me know what you think. This recipe was a hit at the event. Thanks to the Promote Kitsap Weddings for inviting me to this event, and thank you to the host, Red Cedar Farms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment