Wednesday, November 16, 2016

13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do

13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do
By: Amy Morin



13 things, seems like a lot right?

I thought so too and honestly, I didn’t think much about the title when I was told my Mastermind group was going to read the book next. I thought I was mentally strong already.

Well, I just finished the book and my Mastermind would be pleased to know it was a great read and something I highlighted the heck out of. Turns out I’m not as mentally strong as I thought I was.

What about you?

Since I still love the library and don’t own this book, I saved it by taking some photos for you to see. But first, take a look at the 13 things mentally strong people don’t do…

  1. They don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves.
  2. They don’t give away their power.
  3. They don’t shy away from change.
  4. They don’t focus on things they can’t control.
  5. They don’t worry about pleasing everyone.
  6. They don’t fear taking calculated risks.
  7. They don’t dwell on the past.
  8. They don’t make the same mistakes over and over.
  9. They don’t resent other people’s success.
  10. They don’t give up after the first failure.
  11. They don’t fear alone time.
  12. They don’t feel the world owes them anything.
  13. They don’t expect immediate results.

How did you stack up after reading that?

Want to know my weak ones??? Well, here they are….

  1. Focusing on things you can’t control was a HUGE one for me.
    1. This is something my boyfriend Ian and I both struggle with. We both complain a lot about things that bug us. For example, we both workout to a DVD that we know is a good program, but we don’t like a few things about the way it was made. Every time we workout we complain and complain about what the guy says, and why they do it that way. After reading this chapter, I mentioned to my boyfriend “Let’s do a different program or  not complain so much. It’s not like we can change it”.
    2. It’s also something that has helped me think about things like why am I yelling at the guy in front of me who just cut me off while driving? There’s nothing I can change what just happened.
    3. This chapter gives you ways to not worry about stuff you can’t change and how to  embrace the feelings you have towards it instead. This statement has really helped me have less stress in my day to day life!
  2. Pleasing everyone….
    1. Don’t even act like this one isn’t something you do too? Doesn’t everyone have this bone in their body? I feel like we were all born with a little bit of people pleasing mentality.
    2. I do this with almost everyone and I think my friendships drive off of me pleasing everyone. Let me tell you it gets pretty exhausting trying to make everyone happy.
    3. I’m a yesser, I always feel if no one else raises their hand to volunteer their time then I must. For example, at church when they ask for money, time, or your donations I always feel like the pastor is talking directly to me. It’s something I am now learning to not worry about too much. This book was very helpful in laying out why I am a people pleasure and how can I change.

I’ll attach a few pictures so you can see why people pleasing sucks, and how you can troubleshoot the problem too!  















































No comments:

Post a Comment